“Social entrepreneurs are not content just to give a fish, or teach how to fish. They will not rest until they have revolutionized the fishing industry”
–Bill Drayton, CEO, chair, and founder of Ashoka
China’s impressive rise within the global economic landscape has ushered in a new era of entrepreneurship. However, though widespread in the West, social entrepreneurship has not reached the same level of prominence in China. With over 70% of the population in the range of 15-65 years old, we believe that there are ample opportunities for social entrepreneurship to develop that will create even more jobs for the rising generation of the work force. The Harvard Action for Tomorrow Venture (ATVenture) aims to provide emerging Chinese innovators with a unique opportunity to apply their entrepreneurial spirit to social concerns, while helping to continue the strong growth in its domestic economy.
As China is becoming increasingly important in the global economic stage, we want to help shape new young social entrepreneurs who are capable of helping improve society for all.
Our mission is to inspire change and globalize grassroots entrepreneurship. To accomplish this, we are inviting 15-20 teams of innovative college students from the US and overseas in China to participate in an annual ATVenture conference and competition. At the conference, we hope that participants will:
- Identify opportunities to resolve issues that affect their communities
- Propose innovative and realistic solutions to those issues
- Spark entrepreneurial initiatives in China
In return, we aim to:
- Provide the fundamental tools and resources to help refine and implement proposed solutions
- Create opportunities for participants to come together and create an atmosphere that builds entrepreneurial spirit and creativity